on Thursday, November 10, 2016
It's hard to believe the holiday season will soon be here, especially with the beautiful fall weather we've been enjoying lately. But, now's the time to start thinking about Santa's arrival and all the fun this holiday season brings. So we've rounded up some great activities that are (sorry Moms & Dads) just for kids...Happy Holidays!
1. Festival of TreesNov 16-20 | Wed Noon-8pm, Thurs 11am-8pm, Fri & Sat 9am-8pm, Sun 11am-4pm (Gallery)Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center, Cedar FallsCost: Free (Gallery)Come view the beautifully decorated trees, wreaths, place settings and nativity scenes on display. Other kid-friendly activities include Santa’s Workshop on November 19 (free) and Teddy Bear Tea on November 20 (Adults $15, Kids 8 & under $10).
2. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The MusicalNov 16-17 | 6:30pmGallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center, Cedar FallsCost: $25 & upThe beloved TV classic soars off the screen and onto the stage this holiday season. Come see all of your favorite characters from the special including Santa and Mrs. Claus, Hermey the Elf, the Abominable Snow Monster, Clarice, Yukon Cornelius and, of course, Rudolph.
3. Holiday HooplaNov 25-Dec 22 | Times varyDowntown, Cedar FallsCost: FreeCelebrate the holiday season with a month-long festival – Holiday Hoopla. The festivities kick off Black Friday and continue until Christmas. Other Hoopla activities include Santa’s Workshop, live nativity and trolley rides, a holiday movie and more.
4. Winter Wonder’LooNov 26 | 4-7pmDowntown, WaterlooCost: FreeStart your holiday season with Winter Wonder’Loo. There will be Christmas caroling, crafts, holiday treats, and the North Pole shopping area will be open once again. Be sure to stop and visit Santa himself, plus enjoy a special tree-lighting ceremony and Christmas concert too.
5. Breakfast with Santa & Friends – 3 Fun Events to Choose From!
Flippin’-for-Wishes Pancake BreakfastDec 3 | 7:30-10:30amHuHot Mongolian Grill, Cedar FallsCost: $5 in advance, $7 at the door, Kids 3 & under freeJoin the Northern Iowa Wishmakers for pancakes and sausage made right on the big grill. All proceeds benefit Make-A-Wish Iowa and help grant a child’s wish.
Breakfast at the North PoleDec 3 | 8-11amCedar Falls Community Center, Cedar FallsCost: $6Pancakes will be flying high and Santa and all of his favorite holiday friends will be there to join in on the fun. Sausage, coffee, beverages, and of course stacks of pancakes with plenty of syrup.
Breakfast with Jack Frost & Santa TooDec 3 | 8:30-10amPhelps Youth Pavilion, WaterlooCost: Members $8, Non-Members $10 (includes same-day admission to PYP)Participate in holiday art activities, meet Jack Frost, and enjoy a yummy ice-cream breakfast with maple syrup, sausages and bananas. Santa will be there as well to hear wish lists and take photos.
6. John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum Holiday CelebrationDec 3 | 10am-6pmJohn Deere Tractor & Engine Museum, WaterlooCost: Adults $8; Seniors, John Deere employees & retirees, active duty military $4; Kids 12 & under free with adultGet your picture taken on Santa’s lap, activity books for the first 200 children, scavenger hunt, music and more.
7. Christmas Greetings on MainDec 8 | 6-8pmDowntown, WaverlyCost: FreeGet in the holiday spirit with live window scenes, horse-drawn carriage rides, an ice carver, and hot spots featuring Nestle hot chocolate and other special treats.
8. A Christmas Story, The MusicalDec 9-11, 15-18 | 7pm, Sun 2pmHope Martin Theatre, WaterlooCost: Adults $22, Students $12Bring the whole family to enjoy this very special Christmas celebration that everyone knows and loves. Set in the 1950s, follow 9-year-old Ralphie Parker and his quest for the Holy Grail of Christmas gifts – an official Red Ryder air rifle.
9. Winter Wonderland at Hick’s PlaceDec 10-11 | 12:30-4pm (Santa arrives at 1pm)Hick’s Place, Cedar FallsCost: $20/carCome see Santa arrive on his sleigh, plus hayrides, crafts, treats, winter activities and more. A portion of the proceeds go towards the Hick’s Place Military Family Appreciation Day.
10. Kids Klub: Santa & ReindeerDec 13 | 4-8pmScheels, Cedar FallsCost: FreeMeet Santa, Mrs. Claus and their live reindeer before they are called back to the North Pole for Christmas. Pictures are welcomed and encouraged at this fun event for kids of all ages.
For a full listing of events taking place in the Cedar Valley, check out our events calendar. Plus, share your holiday photos with us or tag them with the hashtag #IDigWaterloo. You can find Travel Waterloo on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Beth Keeney, Waterloo Convention & Visitors BureauPhoto Credit: Cedar Falls Community Main Street, Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center, Hick's Place, John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum.