on Friday, August 18, 2017
A lot has changed since our last blog post about the Wonder Bread building and SingleSpeed Brewing’s new site in downtown Waterloo! They officially opened in April and have been busy ever since. In case you haven't visited yet or you're planning a return visit, here's a "Six-Pack of Fun Facts" on why we're loving this new brewery. Cheers!
1. Historic PreservationThe renovations and historic preservations are beyond impressive. They repurposed as much as possible from the Hostess Wonder Bread building, including original flooring, proofing room doors in the restrooms, some of the original oven controls, parts of the conveyer belt, and much more. The building is also LEED Certified - using less energy and water. Want to know what the building looked like prior to the renovations? Check out these cool before and after photos.
2. Tables, Benches & Bar StoolsThe wood for tables, benches, and bar stools may not be repurposed from the old factory; however it is repurposed from old ash trees cut down due to the Emerald Ash Borer. The 20-foot long communal tables in the beer hall, and the 6-week installation is all thanks to the guys at Rovan Hand-Crafted Furniture (based in St. Paul, MN, with company founders originally from the Cedar Valley).
3. Bike-FriendlyFrom the moment you step in, it’s very apparent that SingleSpeed is bike-friendly. From the bike rim lighting fixtures, to the bike rack (repurposed from the Wonder Bread conveyor belt), to bike maintenance tools, and the bike trail map on the wall. Plus, every first and third Thursday of the month (through October), you can enjoy a leisurely ride to SingleSpeed for a bite to eat and a beverage or two. Thursday "Pint Night Rides" are not only fun, but FREE!
4. EventsFrom live music to free tours, you'll find yet another reason to visit SingleSpeed. Get a behind-the-scenes look at their operations and meet the team that brews the beer. Tours are offered every Saturday at 2pm and 3pm. Simply register online to secure yourself a spot. Be sure to check out their events calendar too for a complete list of upcoming events, including YogaBrew and Crafts + Crafts (Craft Project + Craft Beer).
5. The FoodIf the large open kitchen and the huge stove weren’t impressive enough, the food that comes from them sure is! There are several “Wonder”ful things on the menu, including wings, flatbread pizzas, and the ever-popular Chicken & Waffles. And be sure to stop back as they will be introducing new menu items from time to time.
6. The BeerOf course, we can’t forget to talk about the beer! There is something for everyone’s taste buds. There are currently 13 beers on tap, including several new beers - Jane Fondo (a German pilsner brewed especially for a local bicycling event called the Gran Fondo Cedar Valley & FondoFest), Karen (an Amercian blonde ale), and Anna Marie (a strawberry infused blonde ale).
Bring the little ones and enjoy the large kid’s zone, or have it be your new go-to spot with friends, enjoying shuffle board, darts and more. The beer garden is open as well and features a stage and its own bar. And, don't forget to stop by the gift shop for your very-own SingleSpeed souvenir.
SingleSpeed Brewing325 Commercial StHours: Mon-Thurs 11am-10pm; Fri 11am-Midnight; Sat 10am-Midnight; Sun 10am-10pm(319) 883-3604No reservations. First come, first served basis. Dog allowed on the outdoor patio if friendly.
- Paige Nieman, Waterloo Convention & Visitors Bureau